Re: migrating to UTF-8 (was: SCIM in general and "non smart" Pinyin)
  • From: Marc Waeckerlin <Marc.Waeckerlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:14:44 +0000 (UTC)
Am Freitag, 25. Juli 2003 21.26 schrieben Sie unter "migrating to UTF-8 (was:
SCIM in general and "non smart" Pinyin)":
> Yes, I believe as well that migrating to UTF-8 as fast as possible is
> a good idea. It makes multilingual use of Linux much easier.

I hope, you can convince SuSE ASAP. Especially since SuSE is internationally
distributed.

> If you prefer UTF-8 you have to select this yourself by editing
> /etc/sysconfig/language after installation. See also

That's what I did. But unfortunaltely, there are some Texts, that engulf the
german Umlauts (because the texts are not UTF-8). As long as the system does
not support UTF-8 per default, the system is not sound.

BTW: Isn't RedHat entirely based on UTF-8? Initially, the good german support
was my reason to choose SuSE...

Regards
Marc