Re: migrating to UTF-8
  • From: Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:00:29 +0000 (UTC)
Marc Waeckerlin <Marc.Waeckerlin@xxxxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:

> Am Freitag, 25. Juli 2003 21.26 schrieben Sie unter "migrating to UTF-8 (was:
> SCIM in general and "non smart" Pinyin)":
>> Yes, I believe as well that migrating to UTF-8 as fast as possible is
>> a good idea. It makes multilingual use of Linux much easier.
>
> I hope, you can convince SuSE ASAP. Especially since SuSE is internationally
> distributed.

Apparently most users don't really care. It looks like most users are
interested *only* in their native language, few are doing
multi-lingual stuff. And it is difficult to convince users who need
only one language that even for them UTF-8 is an advantage in the long
run. I believe this is really the case, even for single language users
it is useful. I tried to explain why it is a good idea to use Unicode
in

http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/unicode-about.html

if you have ideas how to make this more convincing, please tell me.

In order to make even users who need only one language accept a
switch to UTF-8 without complaining loudly, we need to make the switch
as smooth as possible, there should be almost no significant bugs left
when using UTF-8 when making UTF-8 the default.

Therefore I am very interested in reports of bugs which occur when
using UTF-8 locales. By reporting such bugs you can help to get the
system working well enough in UTF-8 locales to make a smooth
transition possible.

>> If you prefer UTF-8 you have to select this yourself by editing
>> /etc/sysconfig/language after installation. See also
>
> That's what I did. But unfortunaltely, there are some Texts, that engulf the
> german Umlauts (because the texts are not UTF-8).

You mean that some config files in /etc/ contain German Umlauts
in names of authors and things like that?

You are right that this is not nice and should be fixed. Such files
should be converted to UTF-8 in the long run.

--
Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。