Re: [m17n] UTF-8 and Turkish
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:02:57 +0000 (UTC)
* Mike Fabian; <mfabian@xxxxxxx> on 14 May, 2002 wrote:
Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

In case of XEmacs, you add your personal setup like

~/.xemacs/init.el

Ok hopefully all my Docbook setup works as well

[...]

I am completely lost with Xemacs :-( iLooks like I have to RTFM

I'll try whether I can find what change between GNU Emacs 21.1.1 and
GNU Emacs 21.2.50.1 fixed this bug.

I couldn't find anything obvious.

Just one more suggestion for a workaround if you want to continue
GNU Emacs and don't want to upgrade to a CVS version:

So I should not expect a newer version of Emacs which fixes my problem
from SUSE in the short term. With Emacs I would not take a risk of
working with self compiled CVS version as this is my work machine.

You can use one of the input methods built-in into Emacs, for example:

M-x set-input-method RET turkish-postfix
M-x describe-input-method RET RET

I have figured this one while fighting earlier.

With the Xemacs. I have tried your tip
(when (string-match "UTF-8" (shell-command-to-string "locale charmap"))
(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8))

I can type the with no problem I can even save it in utf-8. When I
reopen the file I saved I have the Turkish characters in raw format
how do I fix this ? In Emacs this does not happen.

Thanks

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer