OpenOffice and Japanese
  • From: Gerhard Schuck <geschu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:10:23 +0000 (UTC)
Hi

I'm trying to find out whether OpenOffice.org1.0 for Linux is already able
to replace Winword for someone (not me) who is writing mostly in Japanese,
but also in German. My first impression is, that it might be usable but
that there are still some problems left. I'd like to ask for similar or
different experiences/opinions.

First a small bug: If you activate kinput2 with Shift-Space you should be
able to write in Japanese (of course started with LC_CTYPE = ja_JP and
correct XMODIFIERS setting) directly, but you can't. You have to change
manually to the Japanese font first. And back after you have deactivated
kinput2.

Japanese input with kinput2 works only over the spot.

OpenOffice doesn't work well with kinput/canna (which one I don't know).
Quite often they crash. One example: If I press HOME the "auxiliary
control" window opens. Normally I can close it with Ctrl-g or backspace.
Only backspace works correctly. If I press Ctrl-g the window closes, but
kinput/canna don't work anymore. Sometimes OpenOffice crashes after about
15 seconds (enough time to safe your file). This happens with several
other combinations too.

I tested the German and the Japanese versions of OpenOffice on notebooks
with SuSE 7.1 and 7.3 (later I will also try it on my desktop with SuSE
8.0).

Thanks in advance for any comment

Gerhard Schuck
geschu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx