Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-lxde (20 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-lxde] screensaver activates when i am typing in DOSBox 0.74
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <guido+opensuse.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:57:47 +0200
* Hendrik Woltersdorf <hendrikw@xxxxxxxx> [2010-07-27 18:44]:
Am 27.07.2010 16:41, schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
* Hendrik Woltersdorf <hendrikw@xxxxxxxx> [2010-07-26 21:50]:
I am using DOSBox for very old DOS-programs. In KDE everything works
fine (OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3). On 11.3 I tested the LXDE desktop and the
screensaver activates every 5 minutes when I am working inside of the
DOSBox window. Other Linux distributions and/or desktops had the same
type of problems (related to the SDL-library?) years ago - and solved

Other distributions might not use xscreensaver, does this happen
with gnome-screensaver on openSUSE as well? You can try to
install it without dragging in too many dependencies.

I tried it. It did not work:
** (gnome-screensaver:6079): WARNING **: Failed to get session presence
proxy: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SessionManager': no such name

Hmm, I recently tested with 11.3 RC2 and it worked fine, are you
sure it's not running in the background? You can try to run it in
the foreground with
gnome-screensaver --no-daemon
Don't forget to stop xscreensaver first.

them. Is there a way to get rid of this problem without deactivating the
screensaver completely?

As a workaround you could also inhibit xscreensaver by starting
your application like this:
dosbox & while kill -0 $!; do xscreensaver-command -deactivate; sleep 1;
done >/dev/null 2>&1

I tried this one too, but could not get it working (bash rejects "$!").
I am not good enough in bash scripting to correct it.

Sorry, I use ksh93 and didn't test it with bash, that seems a
limitation of bash's parser, try
dosbox & while kill -0 ${!}; do xscreensaver-command -deactivate; sleep 1; done
/dev/null 2>&1
You could also make a small wrapper script from it.
--
Guido Berhoerster