Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-lxde (21 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-lxde] openSUSE 11.3, LXDE and Office software
  • From: Marc Telesha <mtelesha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:53:42 -0500
Mail Client:
Claws-Mail: I installed it to see for curiosity sake and I got it up
and running with my GMail account in 2 minutes and it is very
responsive on my open P4 528mb ram computer.

Web Browser: (I don't know if this needs to be a separate thread)

FireFox is bloated slow and not what a LXDE desktop is suppose to be
about. I think that it might be worth installing two browsers (UGH)
Personally I use Chromium and have had great results. Its faster
lighter and goes with the LXDE lightweight feel. FireFox does feel
extremly slow and a much bigger foot print in comparison. I would say
use Midori (GTK Webkit lightweight browser) but stability and
"everything works with me" it is not.

Chrome or Chromium seem to have everything that FireFox does except
for the moonlight plug in, but I have read that support is in the
works.. I could be wrong on this point but I really think a little
consideration should be given to Google's browser. Flash works, video
and HTML5 are also a go.

Slightly off subject:
Plus HTML5 with the freedom hating H2.64 works with Chromium and
FireFox is dragging its feet for .ogg. Personally .ogg theora is a CPU
hog and we need (I can't believe I am saying this but) a new codex for
open source video.

-Marc