Re: [opensuse-kernel] Calling acpi methods from userspace ?
On 12/12/2011 04:35 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Hi:

This is the second part of the xps15z saga.. but will anyways affect a lot of
users regardless whatever laptop model used..

This box has an integrated NVIDIA "optimus"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus , which has no support in linux,
I can
certainly live just fine with the intel GPU alone..

I couldn't care less about this thingy, however, the nvidia device

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0df5 (rev ff)

remains "on" and is a power hog, taking at least 1 hour of battery..there are
all sorts of hacks outside to simple disable it.

This particular one works for me:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2010/07/using-acpicall-module-to-switch-onoff.html

however it is an out of tree kernel module and looks fairly hackish, is there
any way to send acpi commands without using this
"acpi_call" kernel module ?

My idea is to create a package that pulled in, just disables the card in the
meanwhile someone hacks support for this devices...

Cheers.

I've a kind of sort of interest in the optimus ( and yeah more & more users are
hit by this )
I've the chance to be able to desactivate optimus in the bios, and just work
with the nvidia quadro.
(At least I've 4.5 hours of autonomy and that's okay for me)

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador