Re: [opensuse-kernel] Calling acpi methods from userspace ?
On 12/12/2011 04:35 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

This is the second part of the xps15z saga.. but will anyways affect a lot of
users regardless whatever laptop model used..

This box has an integrated NVIDIA "optimus" , which has no support in linux,
I can
certainly live just fine with the intel GPU alone..

I couldn't care less about this thingy, however, the nvidia device

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0df5 (rev ff)

remains "on" and is a power hog, taking at least 1 hour of battery..there are
all sorts of hacks outside to simple disable it.

This particular one works for me:

however it is an out of tree kernel module and looks fairly hackish, is there
any way to send acpi commands without using this
"acpi_call" kernel module ?

My idea is to create a package that pulled in, just disables the card in the
meanwhile someone hacks support for this devices...

I've a kind of sort of interest in the optimus ( and yeah more & more users are
hit by this )
I've the chance to be able to desactivate optimus in the bios, and just work
with the nvidia quadro.
(At least I've 4.5 hours of autonomy and that's okay for me)

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl

openSUSE Member & Ambassador
GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227