Re: [opensuse-kernel] kernel package versioning
On 06/13/2011 05:53 PM, Michal Marek wrote:
Hi,

Today I finally got round to properly fix the versioning mess in master and
the upstream branches (vanilla and linux-next). This
mail is meant to document how it's supposed to work. You can skip to the
table at the end of the mail for a summary.

In upstream
~~~~~~~~~~~
Upstream git tags look like "v3.0-rc1", "v3.0-rc2", the final tag is going to
be "v3.0" and the subsequent stable releases will
be tagged as "v3.0.1", "v3.0.2" and so on. The tarballs are named after these
tags, so we have linux-3.0-rc2.tar.bz2 that
contains the linux-3.0-rc2 directory.
HOWEVER: Several userspace programs expect the kernel release string be three
numbers and fail if it isn't the case. This also
affects depmod, so omitting the third zero would break all setups using
modules. So the kernel continues to call itself
"3.0.0-rc2" and this will probably stay for some time now.
In short, there are two version numbers now: I'll refer to them as the
"tarball" version and the "uname" version (might differ
from the "tarball" version in the trailing zero).

In openSUSE
~~~~~~~~~~~
The SRCVERSION variable in the config.sh file is set to the "tarball"
version. The mkspec script takes this and generates two
more versions: The "uname" version (appends a zero if necessary), that is
used during the build (so the actual build didn't
require any modifications in the end) and the "rpm" version. I used the fact
that the build was broken anyway as an opportunity
to revamp the way the rpm packages are numbered. The final releases will have
three numbers, i.e. "kernel-desktop-3.0.0-...",
"kernel-desktop-3.0.1-...", etc. However, -rc releases will use the "rcX" tag
instead of the last zero, so the current package
will look like "kernel-desktop-3.0.rc2-...". Letters sort before numbers in
rpm, so this will not break ordering and at the same
time you will be able to tell the upstream version from the rpm version
easily. Until now, we abused the rpm Release: field for
this, but this only worked in the Kernel:* projects and not in the official
distribution. To summarize, the mapping will be like:

rpm tarball uname -r
kernel-desktop-3.0.rc2-* linux-3.0-rc2.tar.bz2 3.0.0-rc2-*-desktop
kernel-desktop-3.0.0-* linux-3.0.tar.bz2 3.0.0-*-desktop
kernel-desktop-3.0.1-* linux-3.0.1.tar.bz2 3.0.1-*-desktop

The "*" above is the rpm Release: number assigned by the build service. I
hope that despite the long mail, the scheme will
actually be easy to understand, that would will be able to quickly tell what
kernel is in the distro by just looking at the rpm
packages.

Michal

PS: I didn't cover KMPs at all at this point, they might work or there might
be some fixes needed, I'll look into this later.

Hey thanks Michal for the explanation.

I'm just afraid about how much factory tester will forget to upgrade 3.0.rc2 to
3.0.[0-9] as zypper/rpm/solver will always
consider it a downgrade version.
This is seen regularly with obs when people build svn or git version.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador