Re: [opensuse-kernel] Why is IPV6 built in?
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:28:14 -0800
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 02:09:16PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
Is there some good reason why IPV6 is built into the kernel rather than as a
module?

boot speed. But I thought we relented and pulled it out recently. What
kernel flavor are you using?

There are a lot of systems where every DNS lookup has to timeout on the IPV6
lookup, thus IPV6 must be disabled. When it is a module, the YaST setting
suffices, but if built in, it must be disabled on the kernel boot line in
GRUB.
That is confusing.

Agreed, I thought those issues were resolved already. Wasn't there a
bug somewhere for this?

thanks,

greg k-h