Re: [opensuse-kernel] Missing i2c-core.ko in openSUSE 11.3 x86-64 (desktop kernel 2.6.36)
  • From: Dimitar Popov <Dimitar.Popov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:34:22 +0100
Am Samstag 13 November 2010, 23:04:12 schrieb Stefan Seyfried:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:19:27 +0100

Dimitar Popov <dpopov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I was asked from the openSUSE forums to ask my question here. So here it
is: I read in the README.txt of the nvidia linux driver the following:

"NVIDIA has noted that in some distibutions, i2c support is enabled.
However, the Linux kernel module i2c-core.o (2.4) or i2c-core.ko (2.6),
which provides the export infrastructure, was not shipped. In this case,
you will need to build the i2c support module. For directions on how to
build and install your kernel's i2c support, refer to your
distribution's documentation for configuring, building, and installing
the kernel and associated modules."

So I checked if I have i2c-core.ko and I noticed that it is not present
as a built module.

So what?

seife@susi:/local/git/linux-2.6> zgrep CONFIG_I2C= /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_I2C=y
seife@susi:/local/git/linux-2.6> git grep '(CONFIG_I2C)' drivers/i2c
drivers/i2c/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_I2C) += i2c-core.o

Is there any reason why the module is not shipped with the 2.6.36 desktop
kernel from the HEAD repository, but it is present in the sources?

Because it is built in.

Thank you all for the replies! It didn't occur to me that it can be built in
the kernel :)

Greetings,
Dimitar