Re: [opensuse-kernel] Missing i2c-core.ko in openSUSE 11.3 x86-64 (desktop kernel 2.6.36)
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:04:12 +0100
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:19:27 +0100
Dimitar Popov <dpopov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I was asked from the openSUSE forums to ask my question here. So here it is:
read in the README.txt of the nvidia linux driver the following:

"NVIDIA has noted that in some distibutions, i2c support is enabled. However,
the Linux kernel module i2c-core.o (2.4) or i2c-core.ko (2.6), which provides
the export infrastructure, was not shipped. In this case, you will need to
build the i2c support module. For directions on how to build and install your
kernel's i2c support, refer to your distribution's documentation for
configuring, building, and installing the kernel and associated modules."

So I checked if I have i2c-core.ko and I noticed that it is not present as a
built module.

So what?

seife@susi:/local/git/linux-2.6> zgrep CONFIG_I2C= /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_I2C=y
seife@susi:/local/git/linux-2.6> git grep '(CONFIG_I2C)' drivers/i2c
drivers/i2c/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_I2C) += i2c-core.o

Is there any reason why the module is not shipped with the 2.6.36 desktop
kernel from the HEAD repository, but it is present in the sources?

Because it is built in.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"