[opensuse-kernel] Missing i2c-core.ko in openSUSE 11.3 x86-64 (desktop kernel 2.6.36)
  • From: Dimitar Popov <dpopov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:19:27 +0100
Hi all,

I was asked from the openSUSE forums to ask my question here. So here it is: I
read in the README.txt of the nvidia linux driver the following:

"NVIDIA has noted that in some distibutions, i2c support is enabled. However,
the Linux kernel module i2c-core.o (2.4) or i2c-core.ko (2.6), which provides
the export infrastructure, was not shipped. In this case, you will need to
build the i2c support module. For directions on how to build and install your
kernel's i2c support, refer to your distribution's documentation for
configuring, building, and installing the kernel and associated modules."

So I checked if I have i2c-core.ko and I noticed that it is not present as a
built module.

Is there any reason why the module is not shipped with the 2.6.36 desktop
kernel from the HEAD repository, but it is present in the sources?

Does it make sense to use this module, if I want to monitor the temperature of
my GPU with sensors?

How can I compile only that module and install it?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Greetings,
Dimitar

P.S. I'm terribly sorry for the double post! I used another e-mail address :)