Re: [opensuse-kernel] git bisecting help...
  • From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:21:09 +0200
At Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:50:36 +0200,
Jiri Benc wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:39:37 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
I would use Linus' tree, I suspect it will be more bisectable than ours.

With the existence of the expanded kernel tree[1], this is not
necessarily the case anymore.

Right, but it's still trickier when it's over one kernel version.
Also, it's good to know whether vanilla kernel works or not, anyway.
If vanilla kernel works, the regression is in our kernel patches.

Also, I recommend to try 2.6.35 kernel once. I keep the last 2.6.35
SUSE kernel packages OBS home:tiwai:kernel:2.6.35 repo. This will
narrow down into one kernel version. Then you can start bisecting
either 2.6.34..35 or 35..36.

Some hints for quicker bisection:
- Reduce the kernel config to the small set, e.g. via "make localmodcofig"
- Install ccache and setup to use it for compilation
- Narrow the possible paths; specify paths at git bisect

HTH,

Takashi