Re: [opensuse-kernel] XFS/ext4 temporary data corruption and possible fix
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:19:20 -0700
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 06:02:14PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
On Wed 04-08-10 08:25:02, Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 04:36:26PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
Hi,

XFS and ext4 in 11.3 are vulnerable to a possible temporary data
corruption when using aio+dio (basically there is a window in which
zeros are read back from a file even though AIO write to that location
is already reported as completed). The fix is already available upstream
but it changes prototype of ->end_io callback and thus it changes KABI.
It's impossible to fix the problem without changing the ->end_io callback
(more information has to be passed into the callback).
For SLES 11 SP1, we'll have a terrible hack so that KABI is preserved
but what should we do for 11.3? Do we take KABI issues there seriously
enough that it warranties doing the same hack or can we afford to change
the KABI?

We don't care as much about KABI issues for 11.3. This sounds like a
patch that should be made to the upstream .34-stable tree, right? Are
you sure that it's not already there?
It's not because it's not in Linus's tree yet. Only Ted Tso has it in his
tree queued... After he pushes his tree to Linus I believe he will send the
fix to -stable as well.

Ok, if not, please remind me about them.

If they go that route, they will end up in the 11.3 kernel releases
automatically.

thanks,

greg k-h