Re: SOLVED: Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] ZTE MF626 on openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:55:49 -0700
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 05:31:27PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:02:33 -0700
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 03:22:07PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
That depends. Opinions on this change about every week. During even
weeks, the "kernel driver makes the device useful" approach is chosen.
During odd weeks, the "we need userspace crap like usb_modeswitch to make
the device useful" approach is chosen.

No, the kernel developers responsible for this driver, and the
usb-storage driver have a very clear approach, that does not change
per-week. It is:
Existing kernel quirks to automatically handle these types of
devices will be left alone in the kernel. Any new tweaks like
this, that can be done in userspace, should be done in
userspace.

It certainly feels like it changes quite often ;)

Anyway, I had the problem that my device was (wrongly) claimed by the
zd1211 driver, which wanted to switch it but couldn't.

I was neither allowed to implement switching into zd1211 (which is of
course wrong, but at least fixes the problem), so that ar97something could
drive the stick, ("no new quirks, and it is generally wrong!!") nor to
remove it from zd1211 ("will break existing users!!"), so I wandered off
into the sunset, especially since I now have different hardware ;)

That's up to the zd1211 driver developers, sorry.

The "usb-modeswitch" program is the recommended way to resolve this, and
is part of the default udev rules, so perhaps you just need to add your
device id to it.

If eject will do perfectly fine, why mess around with usb-modeswitch? The
last time I had looked at this fine piece of software engineering, I was
not willing to have this run as root on my machines. That's also why I
did refuse to maintain it for openSUSE and drop it.

usb-modeswitch handles more complex situations where a simple 'eject'
command will not switch the device into modem mode. This type of device
is becoming more popular these days for some reason :(

thanks,

greg k-h