Re: SOLVED: Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] ZTE MF626 on openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:02:33 -0700
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 03:22:07PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
However I think it should switch device to modem mode by default,
right after plugging it. You still need to execute "eject /dev/sr0",
don't you? Maybe you could create such a feature request on kernel's
bugzilla?

That depends. Opinions on this change about every week. During even
weeks, the "kernel driver makes the device useful" approach is chosen.
During odd weeks, the "we need userspace crap like usb_modeswitch to make
the device useful" approach is chosen.

No, the kernel developers responsible for this driver, and the
usb-storage driver have a very clear approach, that does not change
per-week. It is:
Existing kernel quirks to automatically handle these types of
devices will be left alone in the kernel. Any new tweaks like
this, that can be done in userspace, should be done in
userspace.

The "usb-modeswitch" program is the recommended way to resolve this, and
is part of the default udev rules, so perhaps you just need to add your
device id to it.

thanks,

greg k-h