Re: SOLVED: Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] ZTE MF626 on openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:22:07 +0200
On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:23:17 +0200
Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2010/5/10 Andi Sugandi <andisugandi@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 5/10/10, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

can't you just "eject sr0" to switch the device? Definitely worth trying.

Wonderful, it works! =)

I guess it's kernel's module that switches device to modem mode.
That's why userspace tool usb_modeswitch should not be needed anymore.

Not anymore...

However I think it should switch device to modem mode by default,
right after plugging it. You still need to execute "eject /dev/sr0",
don't you? Maybe you could create such a feature request on kernel's
bugzilla?

That depends. Opinions on this change about every week. During even
weeks, the "kernel driver makes the device useful" approach is chosen.
During odd weeks, the "we need userspace crap like usb_modeswitch to make
the device useful" approach is chosen.

I learned that when I tried to make a device useful for all users (a USB
WLAN stick) half a year ago and I finally gave up on the issue.

Packaging a udev rule that does "eject" automatically would be a simple
solution for Andi.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"