Re: [opensuse-kernel] procedure to extract & build btrfs-unstable module & progs against opensuse Kernel:HEAD kernel sources?
  • From: 0bo0 <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:29:45 -0800
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hrm. The for-linus branch seems to be pretty outdated.

It is. Iiuc, some mystical combination of master branch plus
patchwork patches are pushed to it ~ the time of each kernel mainline
merge window. I think. Getting a straight answer on if/how/when that
happens has been -- challenging.

The master branch
was last touched a week ago and the for-linus branch was last touched 7
weeks ago.

Yes. *Some* development is done in the master branch. Some is not,
and goes to the patchwork trees. Which when? Who knows :-/

I'll get the package up and running again.

I don't really want to
include the patchworks patches in it since those are everything that
someone has posted to the mailing list - not everything that is up for
consideration.

I certainly see your point. Then again, some of the key 'tweaks'
_are_ in patchwork. As long as a *suse repo include the sources for a
'zypper si', then, of course, pulling/applying a selection of the
patches becomes more manageable, if not trivial.

Fwiw, the 'use case' perspective that I try to keep in mind -- while
testing around here -- is a modern, almost-bleeding-edge stack of
mainline-based kernel:HEAD, Xen4 & latest KVM, with up-to-date ext4,
md & btrfs (all RAID modes).

I'd argue that building/testing that "core stack" has very different
rationale, complexity, and associated time-horizons etc than doing the
same for bleeding edge "Icon Packs & Twitter clients" ...

Anyway, enuf discussion. Thanks.