Re: [opensuse-kernel] Clarification of bzImage vs gzip vmlinuz-* for -default/-xen kernels?
  • From: mail ignored <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:00:29 -0800
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't really think that's the best place to start though. I'm not sure
which order pvgrub tries kernel types, but it may be that it's  decided
that it's not a compressed vmlinux already.

That's a good question ...

Looking now at this recent patch,

http://xenbits.xen.org/staging/xen-unstable.hg?rev/a687c4d35fdd

IIUC, the order of attempted decompression is: gzip, bzip, then lzma

+ ret = xc_dom_try_gunzip(dom, &dom->kernel_blob, &dom->kernel_size);
+ ret = xc_try_bzip2_decode(dom, &dom->kernel_blob, &dom->kernel_size);
+ ret = xc_try_lzma_decode(dom, &dom->kernel_blob, &dom->kernel_size);

but that's AFTER the error i see ("kernel is not a bzImage"), as a
result of earlier code,

- if ( verbose )
- xc_dom_panic(XC_INVALID_KERNEL, "%s: kernel is not a bzImage\n",
- __FUNCTION__);
+ xc_dom_panic(XC_INVALID_KERNEL, "%s: kernel is not a bzImage\n",
+ __FUNCTION__);

Given your explanation above, and the apparent fact that AFTER that
panic occurs, at (ENTER) at console the boot *continues* to
completion, I think I'm not seeing a decompression problem at all, but
rather something earlier ... So, I've got something to work with.

IN any case, I'm still unsure WHY the -xen and !-xen cases are built
differently,

arch type name
x86-* compressed bzImage
x86-xen compressed vmlinuz