Re: [opensuse-kernel] Moblin kernel merged to FACTORY
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:59:42 -0400

Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello,

Greg KH wrote:
No, the main issue is the order _within_ the runlevel. Almost every
driver is in the "main" device_initcall level. But the ordering within
that level matters, and that is only definied by the Makefile order, no
symbol resolution or anything else specific we can determine later.

Recent kernels produce modules.order which lists the makefile order of
modules and is currently used by modprobe to determine which module to
load when multiple modules match a device alias. It can take some
work but I don't think it'll be too hard to make the fast loaded
modules to observe link order.

Now this would be really interesting. I was concerned about having
multiple .init sections and started doing some work in that area, but I
do like the idea of generating the link order via that mechanism instead
of just guessing using modprobe.

Have you played around with this at all yet? I realized this morning
that my linking attempts were actually done on the compressed image, not
with the real vmlinux. The differences are huge: checkout
arch/x86/kernel/vmlinux.lds - I'm not sure how to reliably generate a
good replacement since it folds sections, etc.

It would be nice to ship with a generic kernel and have some userland
scripts which can link the dynamic image on the first boot (or when
the list of loaded modules changes) and use it for subsequent boots
while leaving the generic kernel as the 'safe' boot option.

Agreed.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney