Re: [opensuse-kernel] bug in kernel-source- from
  • From: Rainer Klier <r.klier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:30:04 +0100
Am Tuesday 27 January 2009 09:13:38 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
At Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:55:58 +0100,
Rainer Klier wrote:

Am Monday 26 January 2009 18:22:51 schrieb Markus Koßmann:
Am Montag, 26. Januar 2009 schrieb Rainer Klier:

i had to downgrade kernel to latest available from oss-repo.
with this version building the nvidia driver also was no problem.
right now i am writing this mail with this setup.

there must have been some changes between and
have something to do with these missing symbols.
Hmm , I'am running x86_64
from and I had no
problems to build 180.22.
However I didn't clone the configuration from the previous version , but
the SUSE default configuration from linux-

interesting approach!
i will try that.
normally i always do "make cloneconfig".
what is the difference between doing "make cloneconfig" and using a
downloaded .config?
i always thought "make cloneconfig" gives me the config from the kernel i
am running right now, and this is the best possible option.

Basically it works so. I wonder what got broken on your setup, too.

yes, me too.
i always do it this way.
it never failed in the past.
and i did nothing special this time.
installed new kernel with the following packages:

Anyway, check whether you have CONFIG_UNUSED_SYMBOLS=y. Without this
option, the symbols needed for nvidia / frglx won't be exported to

i will try that.
what i found out today is, that the package "kernel-syms" contains the file
in this file i found the following lines:
0xf16b27a5 pv_mmu_ops arch/x86/kernel/built-in EXPORT_SYMBOL
0xf97a76a6 pv_cpu_ops arch/x86/kernel/built-in EXPORT_SYMBOL
0x522f5573 pv_irq_ops arch/x86/kernel/built-in EXPORT_SYMBOL
0x60400b7f pv_lock_ops arch/x86/kernel/built-in EXPORT_SYMBOL

maybe this file is broken in version and the above lines are not
what would happen, if i uninstall the package "kernel-syms"?
will it be possible to make nvidia-driver without it?
einen schönen Tag noch
DI Rainer Klier
Und bitte keine TOFU-Mails (