Re: [opensuse-kernel] KOTD
  • From: Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:46:05 +0100
Le vendredi 23 janvier 2009, Jeff Mahoney a écrit :
Markus Koßmann wrote:
When booting x86_64 on my
system the system freezes immediately with black screen. With both normal
safe settings. Nothing on the screen, nothing in the logs.
HEAD_20090120200141_5646759d works fine on that system. How to get useful
information for a bug report in that case ?

Ok, the broken one corresponds to:
* Thu Jan 22 2009 jbenc@xxxxxxx
- patches.fixes/iwlwifi-fix-rs_get_rate-oops.patch: iwlwifi:
fix rs_get_rate WARN_ON() (bnc#456002).
- Reordered wireless patches to group together patches touching the same

The working one corresponds to:
* Tue Jan 20 2009 gregkh@xxxxxxx
- clean up patch fuzz after inclusion.

Unfortunately there are 51 commits between those two releases.
Fortunately, the process that cleans up old builds internally doesn't
seem to be running right now. I'll start posting kernels externally for

I've posted a bunch of kernels at

Start by testing the one in that directory, and then follow the
is_good/is_bad links until you're at the end and report the results. You
should need to test, at maximum, 5 kernels.

Wow, remote bisecting, I wouldn't have dared :D

Jean Delvare
Suse L3