Re: [opensuse-kernel] Squashfs
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:51:56 +0000
2009/1/15 Matt Sealey <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Rob OpenSuSE

The linux kernel team "kernel hacker" use all kinds of distro's not
just SuSE, and as Greg KH said

This is an openSUSE mailing list. I'm not talking about all kinds of
other distros. Although if I was I'd note that a bunch of them do use
squashfs for initrd (and root filesystems unioned under hard disks)

Ignoring other distributions, and current work in progress is not
going to benefit the discussion.

It's only Fedora and Debian which don't but this is most of a factor

Their needs are going to be a consideration in a joint project.

If you loop mount a squashfs kernel, too, you don't need any special
tools to extract files from it - this is how the LiveCD installers
work. You just copy the files to the target.

That feature is a user benefit, that will IMO ease support in cases
similar to problem I found.

So the questions he asked, wanting numbers matter, as does that
objection, the advocates of change need to be provide evidence.

There are end user benefits to mountable initrd's, and would have been
a much better workround for one bug, than what I actually had to do.

I don't think mountable initrds is the point (there are very few
situations where you need to mount it), it's the CONSOLIDATION of
cpio/squashfs as currently used in initrd/roots on the LiveCDs and
potentially the DVD images for the standard installation, to use a
single build system and a single (loop mountable) filesystem which
offers several benefits.

You're simply not paying attention to what is going on in the
discussion. I don't know why you are talking about "sysadmin
problems", because you never qualified it. Or mountable initrds (I was
talking about the fact that the installer ALREADY uses squashfs files
INSIDE cpio initrds). They aren't the plus points I'm trying to push
here

That's rich. I actually emailed in a request relating out of a
specific bug report. The exact details are not particularly relevant
to the discussion, just supporting the support benefits of being able
to fix up, initrd's conveniently rather than suffer the consequences,
of mkinitrd utilising the currently booted system.