Re: [opensuse-kernel] Kernel module creation for >=11.1
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:46:06 -0800
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:42:07AM +0100, Ruediger Oertel wrote:
On Wednesday 12 November 2008 23:40:57 Andrew Wafaa wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:14:54 -0800
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I can't say exactly what is missing but all I know is I need the
following packaged as KMPs since 10.3 and I have tried without in
11.1Beta4 and failed:

ACPI - The current package by Oliver Beng on the Build service

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=asus_acpi&project=home%3Aappleonkel%3AEEE

This should no longer be needed, as it already is in the opensuse 11.1
kernel package by default, as it is part of mainline already.

diff-ing that one against the in-kernel asus_acpi shows that it does not
share
much with the original module except for the name and basic infrastructure.
1459 asus_acpi.c (from kernel)
1907 asus_acpi.c (hacked up for eeecp)
diff: 675 lines ...

So maybe it actually works properly? :)

Context is needed as to what is missing in the in-kernel driver to
require an external one.

thanks,

greg k-h