Re: [opensuse-kernel] VM swapping behaviour broken in 2.6.22.12-0.1-default?
  • From: Lenz Grimmer <lenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:56:13 +0100

Hi Jaimon,

Lenz Grimmer wrote:

I really suspect a VM bug here. Why is it using swap even when there
is no memory pressure and swappiness is set to zero?

lenz@metis:~> uptime 10:26am up 1 day 0:21, 8 users, load
average: 0.40, 0.73, 0.98 lenz@metis:~> cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness 0
lenz@metis:~> free total used free shared buffers
cached Mem: 1035332 1020224 15108 0
150936 222276 -/+ buffers/cache: 647012 388320 Swap:
1253028 349804 903224

Note that this is just about 2:30 hours after I did a "swapoff -a ;
swapon -a" this morning (in the attempt to move the swapped out pages
back into memory).

The system again started to swap heavily and more and more memory
appeared as "free" during the course of the day. I was able to regain
control by termination several apps (Firefox, OOo, Thunderbird) and
disabling swap temporarily (to force the VM to swap in all pages again),
but this is becoming a major annoyance. I wonder if I am the only one
experiencing this?

Any idea why it ignores the swappiness setting? Or why the VM decides to
start swapping in the first place, if there is plenty of free memory?
I'd be happy to assist you in finding the cause of this, just let me
know what other info you would need or what info to watch. Thanks!

Bye,
LenZ
- --
Lenz Grimmer <lenz@xxxxxxxxxxx> -o)