[Not-Solved] Re: [opensuse-kde3] sftp url parsing (with included port) broken in 11.3 kde3 - fish OK - howto work around?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:26:39 -0500
On 10/07/2010 03:41 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 10/07/2010 03:00 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
I don't know what recent update may have caused this (I suspect openssl),
but it isn't suse specific. It also broke on Arch. The strange thing with
both
is 'fish' works fine -- even on a non-standard port. (apparently fish
respects
~/.ssh/config)

I should be clear. I run ssh on high ports 6500+ and have for years (keeps the
script kiddies at bay). This bug effects kde3 sftp where ssh (of the remote
host) is on a non-standard port (not 22). I have all my places setup with
sftp as:

sftp://host:port/dir

which have worked since the dawn of time in kde3 konqueror, kate, kwrite,
etc...
Now if you attempt to connect with a remote host on a non-standard port you
get
the error:

Unexpected sftp error: 2 - konqueror

Error encountered while talking to ssh

However if ssh for the remote host is on port 22, then

sftp://host/dir

works just fine. stfp still works fine in gnome and kde4 with the host:port
format, it is just kde3 that is impacted on 11.3. Also, scp, rsync, etc.. all
continue to work fine and all respect the ~/.ssh/config Host/Port pairs.

So something changed that breaks kde3's use of the 'sftp://host:port/dir' url
format when (port != 22).

Let me know if I can send anything else or run further tests that might help.

It does seem that a problem remains in kdebase/kioslave/sftp that makes sftp to
non-standard ports incompatible with openssh 5.6.

Researching prior problems created by openssh version changes, I ran across this
old gentoo description of the same error:

They fixed: ksshprocess.cpp line 101

"ssh-userauth2 successful:"

change to:

"Authentication succeeded"

(to cure the problem with openssh 3.6)

It looks like a similar change has been made here that breaks sftp to
non-standard ports in konqueror/kwrite/kate/etc...

Looking at ksshprocess.cpp, there is an array of accepted responses for success
& failed:

const char * const KSshProcess::authSuccessMsg[] = {
"Authentication succeeded",
"ssh-userauth2 successful",
"Received SSH_CROSS_AUTHENTICATED packet"
};

const char* const KSshProcess::authFailedMsg[] = {
"Permission denied (",
"Permission denied (",
"Authentication failed."
};

Two questions:

(1) how do I get the response from konqueror's failed sftp to high ports to tell
if the response is matching one of the success strings?; and

(2) have there been any changes/patches to ksshprocess.cpp in the opensuse
KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.3/ srpms?

Also, since I was able to connect using i586 packages, this may be an x86_64
only issue.

Let me know your thoughts.

Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street