Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE 4.8 issues
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, Dave Ulrick wrote:

2. The default working directory provided to applications started in KDE used to be ~/Documents but since going to 4.8 it's ~/.kde4/Autostart. For instance, if I start Okular and select File/Open, it puts me in ~/.kde4/Autostart. Likewise, when starting an 'xterm' the working directory is set to ~/.kde4/Autostart. System Settings/Account Details/Paths shows ~/.kde4/Autostart as the Autostart path and ~/Documents as the Documents path.

I've found a way around this problem. I'd been running several commands at KDE startup via a shell script symlinked to ~/.kde4/Autostart/initx. With the symlink in place, I saw that the default working directory was left at ~/.kde4/Autostart. When I removed the symlink, thus leaving ~/.kde4/Autostart empty, the working directory went back to ~/Documents as it was prior to KDE 4.8. This problem solved, I then used Configure Desktop/Startup and Shutdown/Autostart to add program entries (desktop files) for the commands I'd been running in my 'initx' script. This gives me the same functionality but without the side effect of the wrong working directory.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
d-ulrick@xxxxxxxxxxx