Re: [opensuse-kde] Hopes for 12.2
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:57:53 +0700
On Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:43:51 PM Dr. Ralf Czekalla wrote:
Am 14.01.2012 23:28, schrieb Richard Bos:
At zaterdag 14 januari 2012 22:16:36 wrote Dr. Ralf Czekalla:
Am 14.01.2012 09:30, schrieb Richard Bos:
At vrijdag 13 januari 2012 13:49:56 wrote Anton Aylward:
I don't subscribe to IRC but people off-list and newbies have
disparaged openSuse by calling it being like "DLL Hell",

some time ago I checked for a skype update on MS Windows.
There was
one, so I took the plunge and updated. After the update, skype
did
not start at all. Don't know why, as it doesn't tell me. I
probably need to upgrade from to a newer Windows version.
This
would not happen with a good package manager like zypper, as
that
knows in advance, if everything is present on the system, to let
the new / upgraded application work. Oh and btw, the old
skype
version is no longer around.... No skype anymore.

Simply use the version from

repositories/home:/Lord_LT/openSUSE_11.4

I operate it for quite some time and it's working well...

Interesting. Does it support webcam (video too)?

BTW: I meant with no skype anymore, skype on Windows because of
(very)
bad package / software version management.

Yes, indeed. I operate it here with all kind of webcams: From my very
old Philips up the most recent Notebook internal once.

If you need some packages it's always worth looking through the
home
directories. Unfortunately with the opensuse repository search this
option is usually deactivated by default.

Dear Ralf,
Saw your response and just installed the skype from your site.
Although it had the same version number as the official Skype
download It now works also on my system without going through the
hoops in order to get my webcam working, Thanks. have your
repository on my list now.

Constant

--
Linux User 183145 using LXDE and KDE4 on a Pentium IV ,