Re: [opensuse-kde] 12.2 planning
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:52:00 +0100
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Apologies for being so quiet over Xmas - I was gathering the energies for a
busy 2012 to make openSUSE bigger than ever.

It's high time we nailed down what we will do for KDE in 12.2.

We can separate these into things we want to do, and things we have to do.
None of these lists are complete IMO, please help to fill them out.

==Have To==
These are external factors that we have little influence over, that we have to
react to
* openSUSE 12.2 Release Schedule
12.2 is scheduled for release on 11 July 2012 [1].  Beta 1 is our traditional
freeze for major version bumps, usually about 6 weeks before release, so we
have until June to change things.  There is no detailed 12.2 roadmap from
Coolo yet [2].

* Upstream KDE Release Schedule
There is no 4.9 schedule yet (what is it with release managers and christmas?)
but since KDE follows a 6-monthly cycle, add a year to the 4.7 schedule and we
would have 4.9.0 on July 27 2012.  So this is out for us.  This means we'll
probably have 4.8.4 in 12.2.
** Package version updates
** Default configuration adaptations required by 4.8

* Factors affecting KDE in the rest of the distro
Traditionally we end up reacting to these late and 'best-effort', usually
because these are changes to the platform authored by redhat, adopted by
openSUSE and GNOME gets them for 'free' from upstream RH, or because some
other part of SUSE decides it doesn't want to take care of a feature for us
any more.  I'd like us to be aware of these as early as possible this time,
work out the implications and the work required to turn these changes into
opportunities for us rather than damage limitation exercises.
** Plymouth as bootsplash
** Systemd changes in 12.2
I don't know what these are, but I suspect they may have some influence on KDM
** Kernel/Driver changes
The forces of evolution here may require updates in the KWin driver blacklists
we ship
** Updated branding
We need to integrate any branding changes that come out of the artwork team
and make sure they meet our needs.

==Want To===
These are things we would like to do as a value addition to the purely
mechanistic changes pushed on us by upstream.

I have a few things in mind, to kick the discussion off I'll mention a couple
here:
* Quality focus
4.8, and 4.8.4 should be highly stable from upstream (changes to the platform
are happening in the KDE Frameworks 5 work, so it and any 4.9 are going to be
very incremental).  As a distribution we can build on this with polish and
targeted bugfixing based on our users' feedback. Of course things like Apper +
stack, Akonadi + stack, Nepomuk + stack are big items here, but also many
things that are simpler to contribute to, such as missing icons, improving
translations, clarifying bad strings in the UI, cleaning up the start menu
tree, setting default package selections can be done.
* Improving Activity usability
There is still a way to go to make Activities a "Duh! Why didn't we always do
things like that".  Based on a bit of common sense and a bit of feedback, I
think we should be able to make Activities a lot better with a manageable
amount of work, and submit this upstream for 4.9.
* Integrate Plasma Active in openSUSE
A lot of PA stuff has only been usable using git branches, but these should be
mostly integrated to make a current version of PA in openSUSE doable by know.
Since open-slx is our downstream, most of the work is already done.

As a final note, please keep the discussion constructive - if your only
contribution to 12.2 will be a badly spelled thread hijacking to complain
about everything we did wrong, you will have just taken 5 minutes out of
everyone else who can make useful changes' openSUSE time, so take it to
/dev/null and yourself to the opensuse-kde3 perfect code museum list.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap
[2] http://www.suse.de/~coolo/opensuse_12.2 (eventually)
[3] http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.7_Release_Schedule
[4] http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.8_Release_Schedule

Looking forward to a fun openSUSE KDE 2012...

Will

I agree with everything you said. A few related things:

1. A bunch of Qt mobility-related packages are scattered around random
repositories (like Applications:Geo). If we want to have plasma
active integrated, it would probably be good to move all of these
packages into KDE:Qt.

2. Also related to Plasma Active, trying to work with the PA team to
use patches against upstream KDE in their .spec files rather than git
pulls would make it easier to integrate.

3. Figure out if telepathy is ready to be installed by default. This
probably would depend on 4:

4. Integrating ksecretservice. Is there any way to patch the cmake
files to build this as part of kdelibs so we don't have the cyclic
build dependency problem? Maybe ask upstream about this.

5. For activities, there was talk about using a variant of the Plasma
Active activity manager, tuned slightly for desktop use. I forget who
was planning on working on this, it might be worth contacting the
plasma active team to see if they want help with this. Tuning PA
widgets and containments for desktop use might be generally useful,
but probably not essential (and may be too much work).

6. QMLified plasmoids. There are a bunch of these that are available,
but will not be integrated until KDE SC 4.9. These should be
essentially done by openSUSE 12.2. It might be worth seeing if we can
ship these as an additional package, like plasmoids-extra-qml or
something. There may need to be some patches to avoid plasmoid name
collisions.

7. Menu-in-titlebar. I don't know the state of this. There are
supposed to be patches for both Qt and Gnome to support this, but I
don't know if they have been officially accepted upstream. If not we
should make sure they are included, and offer the corresponding KDE
window decoration as a package (although not the default IMHO).

8. There is some talk that lightDM might actually go somewhere. We
should probably keep an eye on it and see whether it is worth
packaging closer to the 12.2 release.

-Todd