[opensuse-kde] Re: KDE:Distro:Factory testers, please speak up
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 07:01:38 -0400
phanisvara das wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:56:08 +0530, Ismail Donmez <idoenmez@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Anyone using KDE:Distro:Factory on their machines, please let me know if
something is broken for you (except the KMail2 resource collection bug).

once, yesterday, nepomuk got stuck with 100% on one CPU; simply killing
the process via ksysguard solved the problem. in general,
akonadi/nepomuk/strigi gives much less trouble than it used to though.

I zypper dup'd to M4 yesterday and have run K:D:F for a while now. Main
problem I had initially was KMail2 migration but after cleaning it up that
seems OK now. Still tend to get a Nepomuk crash on startup after rebooting
the box. Click the 'Restart' button on the popup and close it and it runs
after that. I don't reboot/restart very often, so I only note it happening
at startup.

I had quite some fun after the M4 update; KDM login screen was good but once
in the desktop everything was upside down and all text was garbled, looked a
lot like maybe koi8-r as a loose description. I first renamed .kde4 to
.kde4-backup and logged out/in and got default desktop without the problem.
I deleted .kwinrc and rebooted and the desktop came back with desktop
effects turned off. Turning them back on and a fiddle or two in settings and
the upside down screen happened again.

I tried installing 2 newer versions of Nvidia drivers (.run files from web
site download) afterwards and that didn't fix anything. For whatever reason
when I reinstalled 260.19.44 back and rebooted desktop effects came back and
now everything is good again. Somehow, it was deleting .kwinrc and a
reinstall of the 'good' drivers that fixed everything.

-Mike