Re: [opensuse-kde] Network Manager - how to control automatic connection?
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 03:01, Don Raboud <don.raboud@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Shortened question:

Is there a way to force Network Manager to autoconnect using a fixed IP
address? There is a conection present called "Auto eth0" which takes
precedence over my defined connection "Fixed IP".

Under Manage Connections there is no "Auto eth0" listed, so it appears to be
built in and I can't change anything about it. Under my defined connection
"Fixed IP" "Connect automatically" is checked but that hasn't helped. (There
is also a greyed-out unchecked box "System connection".)

This problem was discussed on the opensuse forums several months back, but no
real resolution was found

<http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/network-
internet/450420-can-set-connection-network-manager.html>

Background:

I use port forwarding in my router, which was supplied by my ISP, to allow SSH
access from the internet to my local machine. I have to specify a destination
IP address in the router. This works as long as my machine maintains a fixed
(local) IP address which I've chosen to be 192.168.1.65 [1].

Using network manager (plasmoid-networkmanagement) I have configured my wired
connection to use this fixed IP address [2].

The problem is that there is an "Auto eth0" connection as well which takes
precedence whenever a new connection needs to be made automatically [3].
The result is usually a different IP address, and hence I lose the ability to
access my machine from outside the network [4].

Notes:
[1] Unfortunately the router lacks the ability to assign a fixed IP address to
a given mac address.

[2] I could use the traditional ifup/ifdown approach but network manager makes
it convenient to use VPN connections.

[3] The router is both wired/wireless and SWMBO has a laptop which
occassionally can't connect to the wireless network. She has learned that the
easiest solution is to cylce on/off the router which then allows her to
connect.

[4] I suppose I could enable access to my router configuration from the
internet, using a strong password, and then I could see which addresses have
been assigned and configure the port-forwarding that way. That just seems
like a far less secure option.

Here is what I do:

- Open YaST2 as root (in kde it's in the Application->System menu, and asks for
root password)

- select "Network Devices" (below "Search" box)

- in the section "Network Devices" (in the other pane than before) select "Network
Settings"

- a new window opens. select the register-card/tab "Global Options"

- in section "Network Setup Method" select Traditional Method with ifup.

- select register-card/tab "Overview", select your Card, click "Edit" below.

- the window changes its content. select tab "General".

- in section "Device Activation" either "At Boot Time" or "On Cable Connection"
should be selected.

- select tab "Address", below "Device Type" select "Statically assigned IP
Address".

- enter Your ip (192.168.1.65) in the field IP Address, your subnet (255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0) in the field "Subnet Mask", and the name of your computer in the field "Hostname".

- at the lower edge of the window click "Next". the window content switches
back.

- now with just a few extra entries you can make your life easier.

- select tab "Hostname/DNS", enter the ip of your router (192.168.1.1 ??) in the field
"Name Server 1".

- select tab "Routing" and enter your router ip in the field "Default Gateway" (maybe named "Default IPv4 Gateway"), and select your card (eth0) in the Device field.

- at the lower edge of the window click "OK".

- end YaST2, reboot your computer, check your config (e.g. with /sbin/ifconfig
in the konsole/xterm)

I hope this gives you some help.

--
Yamaban, - who really dislikes the "Network Manager" behavior, - out.