Re: [opensuse-kde] Can hardly use any kwin effect with KDE 4.6.0
On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 03:54, Malte Gell wrote:
I enabled Vsync, both in the nVidia drivers and KDE compositing settings
and it seems to help, no crash so far, no hang

No, I was wrong. It hung again, did not help. Back to Compiz.... and kwin
does not remember window postions, even when they are given fixed for a
certain window. Am I wrong or is kwin in 4.6.0 pretty broken?

Are you using up to date drivers for your video card? You need 3D
capable drivers for some KWin effects.

Of course, I use the nVidia drivers from nVidia, there is no other way to get
3D than using their proprietary drivers.

What openSUSE version (11.3?), and more importantly, what kernel
version, and what nVidia driver version?

It may be possible that you're running into one of the nVidia/kernel
combinations that cause problems with KDE4. For example, the default
kernel for 11.3 is well known to cause significant performance issues
on (most, but not all) computers that are using nvidia graphics cards.
The quick fix in these cases was to simply upgrade to a newer kernel
(eg install a kernel from the Kernel:Head repository).

Of course it could be something else as well... but this is the firs
place I would look.

C.