Re: [opensuse-kde] New phonon release, tells us not to use xine
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:44:40 -0500
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/27/2011 03:55 PM, Martin Schlander wrote:
Onsdag den 26. januar 2011 12:40:04 skrev Dave Plater:

On 01/26/2011 07:19 AM, todd rme wrote:

I don't think xine itself is unmaintained, rather the xine phonon
backend is unmaintained.

I'm planning on having a look at.
Dave P

That would be awesome. At least xine seems to currently be the most feature
complete one - e.g. both vlc and gstreamer backends don't seem to offer
equalizer.

And since vlc is tricky to include in the distro, and I don't trust gstreamer
to not be a nightmare on all kinds of levels, it would be just great if
someone would step up and maintain the phonon xine backend imho.

I didn't realise the task I took on when I innocently set about updating
xine-ui. So far the clean up of xine-lib has taken me to adding
libdvdnav-devel and getting dvdnav and dvdread to build pkg-config .pc
files, I don't know where libxine got it's dvd capabilities from if it
had any because the xines need either .pcs or explicit environment
variables input to find libraries.
Still got to get the codecs and other legal pitfalls fixed and maybe
next week sometime there will be a shiny working xine-lib which might
fix the phonon-backend-xine problem, phonon seems ok.
gstreamer needs attention as a whole in order to get it to build
properly, I've noticed how it breaks frequently if somebody makes a
slight change so I leave it alone.
Regards
Dave P

I don't think the problem is with the xine packaging, or with xine
itself, the problem is that developers don't have enough time to
maintain 3 different backends, so they are focusing their attention on
the two they think are most promising (gstreamer and vlc). So no
matter how many fixes you put into xine, it won't help the xine phonon
backend. What is needed for that is a dedicated developer willing
maintain the xine phonon backend itself.

-Todd