Re: [opensuse-kde] New phonon release, tells us not to use xine
On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 15:52 -0500, todd rme wrote:
A new phonon version is now out:

http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/phonon-family-4-4-4/

This part was particularly significant in my opinion:

"Last but not least we changed the default priorities of backends on
Linux. To get the best experience you should now either use GStreamer
or VLC. The former preferred choice Xine is as of now considered
unmaintained and should not be used anymore."

Does anyone know why this is? xine has always been the media
player/backend that worked best for me, while gstreamer had severe
problems parsing its own config files and could never play anything
without severe manual tinkering. Why is xine going away?

Anders