Re: [opensuse-kde] System Settings vs. Personal Settings
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:55:56 +0100
Am Freitag, 19. November 2010, 21:00:38 schrieb Anne Wilson:
On Wednesday 03 Nov 2010 15:47:27 Martin Schlander wrote:
Onsdag den 3. november 2010 15:14:57 skrev todd rme:
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Martin Schlander

<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tirsdag den 2. november 2010 18:13:22 skrev Matt Williams:
2010/11/2 Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>:
Has this change been pushed or even suggested to the upstream?

I think it would make more sense changing it upstream too.

Systemsettings is a pretty bad name for something that is 95% user
settings. I vote to call it KControl again :-)

So can we abide by upstream's decision on the matter, whatever they
decide?

Not if it was up to me :-)

Upstream is probably not very interested in such a big change, and
having "System Settings" and "Administrator Settings" would create more
problems than the current state imho.

But I guess you can bring it up as a meeting topic.

I was on holiday when this topic started, but I can second Todd's statement
about the difficulty caused by this decision. To geeks it's not a big
thing. To people new to Linux it is impenetrable when people tell you to
open System Settings and you don't have such an application, nor can you
find it in Software Management. I recently spent more than a week in a
conversation with someone who, it turned out, was having exactly this
problem. We couldn't move on until I had realised it. I spend a lot of
my time in user support, and things like this matter a great deal.

Is it due to me using KR45 or due to the German translation that I have two
"Systemeinstellungen", i.e. system settings in my menu, which is also
confusing because both YaST and KDE systemsettings are called that way?

So IMHO it does make sense to call KDE's systemsettings "personal settings" if
YaST is called "system settings".

Sven