Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE Factory warning
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:37:25 +0200
On Monday 12 of July 2010, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2010/7/12 Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>:
On Saturday 10 of July 2010, Markus Slopianka wrote:
What are the stumbling blocks to create /45 now?

 - somebody doing the work

As said I want it for myself. So I could do the work, meaning:

This topic will be discussed at today's IRC meeting
(http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:KDE_Meetings).

- I would stop maintaining it the day K:D:F starts providing KDE 4.6.0
final.
- I'm interested in keep it for openSUSE *11.3*. Older versions and
SLE... I would fix problems in them when I were really bored. So *if it's

Hmm, that's not much of a commitment. If that's all you and everybody else
would do, it would mean a repo working for a month for one version, in which
case it might be better to keep it under somebody's home: rather
than "official" under KDE: .

 - I don't remember if there were also other problems when we tried
KDE:42, KDE:43

Well, that's important. I'm expecting this to be a low (once a month)
maintainership task. Being the most problematic part keeping some
patches applying when packages are updated to new micro versions. But
once a new KDE 4.5.x version is ready it shouldn't need to be touched
at all until the next update from upstream. I'm wrong?

That is the theory.

In my view this will be:
- The repo is created as an aggregate (redirect at
download.opensuse.org?) of K:D:F soon before the day K:D:F starts
providing KDE 4.5. Once 4.5.0 is released publishing is enabled.
- I do nothing special until K:D:F starts providing KDE 4.6.

Makes sense.

- It would be great if you sync the move to 4.6 with a 4.5.x release.
The day the repo would start being independent of K:D:F it will be
providing a new version, so users have no problems with updates.
- Everything is working. The update meant just substituting the
version tag in spec files and updating the tarball. No more than ten
packages stopped building, because a patch didn't apply anymore. The
patch was either easily refreshed or not needed anymore.
- No problems until the next month, when a new upstream version is
released. Once again it just means updating tarballs and version tags
("osc collab update" is doing all the work?). I have 5 days between it
being tagged and released (I need to create tarballs from SVN? Do you
have early access to the official ones?)

Tarballs are made accessible to packagers. Since Dirk builds them anyway, the
work could be probably shared.

- Every month this is repeated.

Not really, there usually not further x.y-1.z releases once x.y.0 is out and
there is not more than one release during the beta cycle of the next minor
version.

- Some independent apps have new releases from time to time. These are
now links from K:D:F... sometimes they break and I create a local
patch (no need to pollute K:D:F packages because of this).

If the repository contains KDE SC 4.x , then only the SC should be there IMO.
Independent apps can come from KDE:Extra.

--
Lubos Lunak
openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer