Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE SC 4.4.4 packages for Open SuSE?
  • From: Markus <kamikazow@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:36:18 +0200
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 14:49:17 Lubos Lunak wrote:
On Tuesday 08 of June 2010, Markus wrote:
There will likely be an official update to 4.4.5 after a month or two
after openSUSE's 11.3 release (delivered as regular update for 11.3 and
KDE:/STABLE for 11.2 etc.).

That is currently not planned.

Strange change of mind compared Will's 11.2/4.3 announcement last December
when he wrote how beneficial putting the regular SC update into the repos is
(quoting an excerpt):

- 4.3.4 is the final planned release in the KDE 4.3 series and will therefore
have the longest shelf life. It will be easier to apply future fixes from the
KDE 4.3 branch to 4.3.4 packages than to 4.3.1 packages.

- We are aware that any version update has the potential to include
regressions, but:

- 4.3.4 is a point release with only bugfixes and translation updates

- we've seen a lot of use of the KDE:43 repo from 11.2 users without a lot
more bugs

- other distributions have already shipped 4.3.2 and are going to push point
releases as online updates as well

We have consulted the openSUSE maintenance team, who were in favour of this
move. The online update will take place after a period of testing 4.3.4 on
11.2 in KDE:KDE4:STABLE:Desktop.

The sole drawback to this that we're aware of is that this will be a large
online update download; we hope you will agree the benefits will be worth it.