Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE repo structure proposal
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:30:39 -0400
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Torsdag den 29. april 2010 18:52:13 skrev todd rme:
What about backports?  Is it only going to contain KDE 4 application
or is it going to continue to have KDE 3 applications as well?  If
there are going to continue to be KDE 3 applications for which there
is no KDE 4 alternative, I would prefer there to be a separate KDE 3
repo, such as KDE:Legacy, for such applications, rather than having
backports containing a mix of KDE 3 and KDE 4 applications like it
does now.

KDE3 apps would only be relevant in Backports if a KDE3 app which is still
included in the official distro would make a new release. Does that really
still happen?

If it does then such a release should go to Backports.

At least as an example, kscope is a KDE3 app and is currently in
factory. At the very least I think they should probably have KDE3- in
front of them so that people know easily that it is a KDE3
application. Currently there is no way to differentiate KDE3 from
KDE4 apps without browsing the dependencies, and only then if you know
what to look for. It is currently not very easy for people trying to
avoid installing KDE3 applications (which would, in turn, pull in KDE3
libraries).

-Todd