Re: [opensuse-kde] Pulse Audio for KDE for 11.2
  • From: Malte Gell <malte.gell@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 23:11:53 +0200

Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx> wrote

2009/8/7 Malte Gell <malte.gell@xxxxxx>:
Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx> wrote

There is fate feature #305888 (Disable Pulse Audio by default).

What are the reasons to disable PA by default? Since arts is gone, why
should KDE4 be left without any sound server at all? Most sound cards do
not support hardware mixing, this means you *need* a sound server to play
audio from several sourced at once, e.g. playing music while wathcing
some video on the web. Wouldn't a clean integration of a sound server
like PA make sense?

When the sound card doesn't supports HW mixing ALSA uses dmix by
default since a long time ago. There is no need for a sound server if
the only thing you want is software mixing.

How can I check, whether dmix is correctly running? I just noticed, without
sound server I was not able to listen to MP3 music and to e.g. KDE system
sound at the same time... And when I used Skype I was not able to use a media
player at the same time, so I guess I don't have a running dmix plugin?

PA allows other useful things too, so one can use different volume settings for
different audio sources. For example use low volume for system sound while
wathcing some stuff on the web browser :-)

Malte