Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE 4.2 stable repo and KDE live CD respin
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:34:53 +0200
Am Freitag, 3. April 2009 00:23:32 schrieb Karsten König:
- Create a KDE 4.2 repo by copying the files from the Factory repo. The
KDE 4.2 repo is opensuse stable, i.e. frozen. The repo will not see any
4.2.3 version and only really, really important patches are added after
the creation.

I disagree, me and propably others currently using KDE4:Factory want 4.2.3
and maybe 4.2.4 (depends when 4.3 gets semi stable =)), I don't think
current situation should suffer because of this step.

In an ideal world, yes. But given the resources it is not possible to maintain
two different KDE (4.2) versions, i.e. one in Factory and one in the "frozen"
repo. So your choice is only: either have a stable KDE 4.2 repo, then it will
be frozen and unmaintained or keep KDE 4.2 as long as possible in Factory and
wait until after KDE 4.2.3 before putting KDE 4.3 into Factory, which means
that the respin live CD cannot use a stable repo when installing if it is
released within the next four to five weeks.

If I am not mistaken it was already decided that as soon as KDE 4.3 enters
Factory, there will be no more KDE 4.2 updates, as there was no KDE 4.1.4
either.

KDE 4.2.2 can't be made opensuse stable (compared to 4.1.3) and we
shouldn't advertise it that way, tell the people straight away they will
keep following the 4.2 development with that.

What I meant by openSUSE stable is, no version updates, just major bugs are
fixed, as in STABLE.

Sven