Re: [opensuse-kde] what's the point with KDE 4...
  • From: "ne..." <guhvies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:39:58 +0000
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:30, Daniel Mader <danielstefanmader@xxxxxx> wrote:

[SNIP]
At the same time, I feel very much unsettled about the path KDE4 goes. It is
still miles away from enterprise desktop usage. It lacks both features and
stabiliy:
* printing is a joke. Compared to Windows, MacOS and Gnome, it is just
downright broken. No one can tell, if it will ever improve again, since Nokia
doesn't care.
Them is very strong fighting words. It would be great to see the evidence that
backs those words up.

* PIM is lacking features, such as synchronizing with syncML and the like. It
doesn't even have plugins for Google stuff, which would greatly enhance
popularity. Again, noone seems to care
Again, I ask for evidence of those very strong words.

[SNIP]
Gnome is attracting large portions of former hard core KDE3 users, that's a
fact. Bashing those "poisonous users" may seem justified from the perspective
of a volunteer developper from amarok and the like but it doesn't make the
problem go away. KDE 4 is currently not an option for serious desktop usage.
Period. What scares me, though, is the fact that it will still not be an
option in 4.3 and thus 11.2. Intermediate version upgrades from factory are
not an option, either, so that means, for openSUSE the first working KDE
desktop is still about 1.5 yrs from now...
I think I know where the problem lies. It lies not with the developers
but the users.
Hear/read me out. You must have heard the one about keeping up with the Joneses.
That is exactly what is going on here. Users think KDE4 is a drop in replacement
for _every_ part of KDE3 with added shiny bits. Well, that is not the
case and we
as users, need to stop thinking it is. We have been told, time and
time again, that
things will eventually get there. It seems we refuse to believe the
developers who
tell us this. If we want to keep up with the Joneses, we have to be
prepared for all
the missteps along the way. KDE4 is not complete yet and still has a long way to
go. It will get there, but it going to be long and bumpy ride for all
the complainers.

We *need* better packaging, and we need stable, frequent and reliable KDE4
snapshots provided for the endusers' audience. If we don't, I see the KDE
market share drop to 30% from once 90%.
I do think you are going to get all three at once, you can get
frequent or you can
get stable and reliable. This is simply due to the fact that to get
stable and reliable,
only small changes can go into the code base, and those changes have
to be fixes.
What you will get are releases that implement functions that get
stable over time.
As for the KDE dropping, that may well happen, but I can assure you it will pick
up again.

ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Samuel Beckett - "Birth was the death of him."