Re: [opensuse-kde] kde3 in factory
  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 06:56:05 -0800
On February 13, 2009 10:11:58 pm jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

From one who began gui computing w/ Os/2 and was ( still am) desolate to
see it go. Of course the shoe salesman who promised us that he would keep
OS/2 going ( and who promptly dumped it as fast as he could do.) Silly man
didn't understand IBM's reasoning when he took over.. think he lasted maybe
a year possibly 2. I think that dumping OS/2 was the 1st time IBM had
dropped a system for whom they still had ( commercial) customers .

Obviously those of us who had small businesses were unlikely to ever spend
enough green to make it practical, there were a huge number of banks, a
couple of Wall Street firms, and several hospitals and other big money
businesses .

A couple of years ago, when I was a Director for mid-size Credit Union, I was
at a conference where IBM was pushing their latest and greatest ATM. I told
them after my experience with OS/2, I had no confidence in their willingness
to support customers longterm.

I did really like OS/2, too.

--
Robert (Bob) Smits bob@xxxxxxxxx