Re: [opensuse-kde] Thinks that I miss in KDE 4
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:14:37 +0200
Am Montag, 13. Oktober 2008 01:24:14 schrieb Xavier Callejas:
- System tray cannot hide icons (I got the panel full of system tray icons
that I would want to be hidden, this is very annoying for me).

If I remember correctly, this is part of KDE 4.2, yet hardly something that
keeps one from doing ones work. And this would be an upstream bug, since it is
not opensuse specific, so you should report it at bugs.kde.org.

- KMilo was not ported to KDE4.1.x, I cannot control my Thinkpad buttons
any more (even the volumen keys don't work, for me this is ver very
important)

I can assign all keys I have on the notebook's keyboard, either because acpi
recognises them, which you can check by running acpi_listen and pressing the
button, or because xev sees them. If neither of those show them, it's not
KDE's fault.

- KNetworkManager do not work at all, we need something to
manage our connectivity the easy as possible, I'm a full laptop user.

Since there is no knetworkmanager4 yet, only some alpha/beta, it is the same
knetworkmanager that you and all others used with kde3, which works quite
well.

Other thinks that need to be implemented:
- KDM and kscreensaver to support fingerprints readers.

Upstream too.

Other courious things:
- I cannot drag&drop files from konqueror to dolphin.

Upstream.

I have tried to use KDE 4 since 4.0, but I think is not ready for me, for
now I'm still using KDE3.5.10, but I wainting ansious for KDE 4.2, I hope
it brings at least the first 3 points of my list.

If you are happy with 3.5.10, what's the problem? Is there somebody pushing
you to switch? I use KDE4 on both, laptop and desktop and I surely get my work
done, which would be the only valid reason to tell that KDE 4 is not ready yet
in my opinion.

Sven