Re: [suse-kde] Multiple Concurrent KDE Logins On A Single Home Directory?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:25:30 -0700
Will,

On Thursday 19 October 2006 09:41, Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 October 2006 14:39, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > For my scenario, that wouldn't happen, since I run KMail on only
> > one machine.
>
> You could end up trying to run it twice if login 2 restores the same
> session currently running/restored in login 1. The safety check
> catches this case though.

No. I have two machines. On one I run KMail, on the other I do not. I'd
only use NX to log on from the KMail machine to the non-KMail machine.
Hence, there would be no problem with multiple KMail instances.

Furthermore, I'm careful never to log out with a random collection of
applications running (to be auto-started upon my next login). I have
only a Konsole and a Konqueror local file browsing window. I start
other applications, such as KMail and Firefox when I log in and launch
other less generic applications on an as-needed basis.

> > > Also configuration file corruption is one thing, but you would
> > > definitely notice that if instance 2 quits after instance 1, any
> > > config changes made by instance 1 would be lost.
> >
> > I guess the answer, if I want to make this a regular thing, is to
> > simply avoid the multiple concurrent KDE logins thing.
>
> 'Avoid' is a bit strong here. It's more of a case of gotchas than
> risks.
>
> A tip is to set KDEHOME, KDEVARTMP and KDETMP differently depending
> on DISPLAY, that way you can access your files, have a separate KDE
> config for the smaller NX display and avoid all the gotchas.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by "smaller NX display." I'm a fanatic about
screen real estate and always do remote logins in full-screen mode.

> Will

Thanks for the tips.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >