Re: [suse-kde] .xsession-errors file grows up to 50GB
  • From: Julián Rodríguez Bajo <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:40:35 +0200
El Viernes, 20 de Octubre de 2006 21:18, Boyan Tabakov escribió:
> On 20.10.2006 22:00, Julián Rodríguez Bajo wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply Boyan, but after exec that command, next time any
> > process writes to the file the file size goes back to the previous file
> > size.
>
> Now this is strange. Same here. I use this technique to flush log files and
> for what I know about file systems it is the right way to do it. I tried
> this again with /var/log/messages - a file that gets written into really
> often. It worked just file - the file was flushed and not restored after
> subsequent write. However, this is not the case with .xsession-errors. Part
> of the file seems binary data, but I don't know why it is not behaving like
> I think it should. It is a regular file after all.
> Anybody, any ideas?

lsof reports that /var/log/messages is opened just once by process
syslog/syslog-ng, but .xsession-errors is opened by a lot of KDE processes
(kio_*, start_kde, kdeinit, dcopserver...)

Also, as you say, the begining of the file are just a lot of 0x00 (32945 0x00
bytes on my system right now) followed by normal text messages.