Re: [suse-kde] "Nice" users?
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:34:50 -0800
On Tuesday 17 January 2006 7:10 am, Joshua Raphael Fuentes wrote:
> it would also be cool if SUSE will have PAM sessions like how
> FEDORA or REDHAT has....
>

> I'm curious, how do you draw the line between inactive and active
> users? would that be measure on how often a user logs in? or
> what ?

In my case it is a family computer w/ 1 physical monitor and
keyboard but 3 users logged in on diferent virtual terminals, it
seems that if the "Kmenu->switch user" item was used (rather than
the key combination) to switch sessions, that kde could notify a
subsystem to adjust the nice value to give the new user the highest
priority.

For my family, desktop response (web surfing, e-mail, time it takes
to open an application) are the slowdowns that are most noticed.
Since I am the main culprit in causing the slowdowns I guess I
could manually adjust the nice value of my processes but that seems
like more administration than should be nescessary.

It seems that there would need to be a preferences system to allow
some users nice values to remain unchanged (root, system processes)
while allowing specific users nice values to be increased or
decreased when switching.

Apparently this is not currently possible, so I guess its time to
file a request w/ the kde developers / kernel developers.

Thanks to this list for helping me clarify to myself what it is that
I am looking for.

See ya
--
dh