Re: [suse-kde] Worst Feature EVER!
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:42:40 +0100
Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Anders,
>
> On Saturday 28 January 2006 12:56, Anders Johansson wrote:
>> Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please allow me to vent.
>>>
>>> What the hell good is overstrike mode in KMail? I claim less than
>>> none. (Apparently Piers Anthony disagrees...). I hate it!
>> What the hell is overstrike mode? (and who is Piers Anthony?)
>

> Open a KMail composition window. Type some text. Place the insertion
> point in the middle. Press the "Insert" key once. Now you're in
> overstrike mode (there is NO feedback or indication that you're in this
> mode). Type some characters. Instead of inserting themselves at the
> cursor, they replace the character immediately following it.
>
> Now consider what happens if you're composing mail and accidentally hit
> the insert key. It drives me crazy.
>
> Eudora has an internal setting (documented on their Web site) to disable
> its interpretation of the Insert key as an insert / overstrike toggle.
> KMail needs its own counterpart, if it does not already have it.

OK, to me that would be overwrite. Overstrike sounds like what evolution
does to email subject headers when you hit Delete if you don't have it
set to autohide deleted emails

Anyway, you can (should) set kmail to use kate as external editor. Then
you'll see in the status bar which mode you're in, INS (normal insert)
or OVR (overwrite)

Sorry, I don't know how to turn it off, other than to disable the
numeric keypad (keypad 0 is the toggle key for me)

> Piers Anthony is a Science Fiction writer. If you search the Web for
> "KMail Overstrike," the first hit (from A9 or Google) is a monthly
> journal page in which he expresses his like for overstrike mode in
> KMail. There's another one mentioning how he likes having it in KWrite.

aha

< Previous Next >