Re: [suse-kde] Problem with kmail and attached zip file
  • From: Alvin Beach <alvinbeach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:01:09 -0400
On Monday 05 December 2005 08:16, Stefan Brandner wrote:
> KMail works fine for me with nearly all attachments.
> If the attachment is a *.zip file and I double click
> on it, ark opens but with the message it is read only.
> If I try to open e.g. the *.mpg file in the zip it
> doesn't work.
> If I save the zip file first ark also works fine.
>
> Any idea how I can use ark with kmail directly.
> Is this a bug and can anybody reproduce this?

I don't think this is a bug. But this is what I have noticed when using
attachments from kmail:

When you open an attachment, it is temporarily copied to a temp directory
(in /tmp I think). It may be copied as read-only. The attachment remains
there until you close the email or select another email for viewing in the
previous pane.

If you view an mpg from inside that zip file, do not change the email that is
in focus. The attachment should remain valid until you select another email.
I use the preview pane, so I don't usually open the email into a separate
window.

Hope this helps,

Alvin