Re: [suse-kde] KMail 1.9 (KDE 3.5.0) Omits Thread Marking Commands?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:01:24 -0800
Alvin, Lee & Anders,

On Saturday 10 December 2005 07:27, Alvin wrote:
> On Saturday 10 December 2005 11:18, BandiPat wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:08, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > Harrumph!
> > >
> > > It gets worse. SHIFT-DEL, though it's shown in the Shortcuts
> > > dialog as being associated with the "Delete" action, does not in
> > > fact do anything. Furthermore, the Delete action does not appear
> > > in the context menu of the mailbox list pane nor of the message
> > > preview pane nor in any of the menu-bar menus.
> >
> > ========
> >
> > I think this must be your problem, because this function still
> > works for my KMail. Having only move to trash in the selections is
> > probably a better choice, especially for new users. It allows the
> > user to have a second chance at removing the mail or viewing it
> > again. For those of us that just want to get rid of them, then
> > shift-del still works to completely remove the mail.

Upon restarting KMail this morning, SHIFT-DEL is again deleting message.
I don't know what that's about.

> > Lee
>
> Just another point, moving the email to the trash should be
> considered a good thing. When you close Kmail, it automagically
> purges the trash anyway.

First of all, that is email for babies. Second, automatic trash purging
is an option, not a fixed behavior.

I have been using SHIFT-DEL, mostly for spam, without incident for
years. (I do leave the confirmation dialog enabled. Contrast this with
Thunderbird, which simply has no such confirmation dialog and in which
I have, once or twice, lost mail by accidentally hitting shift delete
or hitting it when the wrong message was selected).

On Saturday 10 December 2005 02:25, Anders Johansson wrote:

> I guess it's just a menu reorganisation. Context commands in
> preference to menu commands

Removing commands from menus that can be activated by the keyboard and
leaving them only in context menus is a loss of functionality, not a
mere reorganization of the menus, and is a bad thing. (And yes, I know
you can activate the context menu from the key between the right-side
Windows and CTRL keys, but this is hard for me to to hit reliably and
without looking at the keyboard, which is not true for <ALT-M, T, R>.

> Alvin

Randall Schulz