Re: [suse-kde] Latest KDE disables graphical login as root?
  • From: Ingo Strauch <brack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:54:59 +0200
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:51:27 -0400
"Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 1:27 pm, Peter Buckenleib wrote:
> > Hi Mr(s) Shriramana Sharma
> >
> > login as root might be dangerous, but some tools provide graphical
> > installers that should to be run as root.
>
> I don't know if I'm the only one this is happening to, or not ;-) but
> every time I log in as myself (normal user) and I launch YaST Control
> Center from my desktop menu, I'm prompted for my root password. I have
> no problem accessing the YaST modules from my user desktop...

That's what I wanted to add as well. If Yast is the main reason to work
as root there is no problem whatsoever. And as somebody already pointed
out one can easily use "sax" in a terminal and start the few programs
that really require root priviledges from there. I really wouldn't
recommend using browsers, mailers, chat clients, P2P software, ..., as
root!

Some more 2 cents... ;-)
Ingo

P.S.: I noticed that a few people replying to the original message use a
Reply-to to their private address instead of the list address. I wonder
why, usually answers are meant for the list.

--
Ingo Strauch ---- Registered Linux User #227900 (http://counter.li.org/)
GPG Key Fingerprint = DEC8 1B12 9573 6BE7 7A99 C33F 809C 8C2C 772E 66A1